Instructing me

29 May 2017

If you want to instruct me directly, we shall draw up a simple agreement setting out exactly what you require me to do and how much you want to pay me for it. That is called a “client care letter” and you will find an example here.

If you want me to advise or act for a third party such as a limited company of which you are a director, we shall draw up a slightly different agreement with you. I shall send a letter in this form to you and another letter in this form to the person on whose behalf you are instructing me.

Of course, you can, if you so wish, instruct a solicitor, patent or trade mark attorney or some other professional intermediary to instruct me on your behalf. If that happens, my contract will be with the intermediary and not with you although I will still owe you a duty of care at common law as well as the professional obligations set out in the Board Standards Board Handbook.

However you instruct me, I will need evidence of your identity and residence in order to comply with anti-money laundering legislation. If you are an individual your driving licence, passport or some other photo ID plus a recent utility bill usually suffices. If you represent a company, its memorandum and articles of association, latest audited accounts and evidence of your authority to represent the company such as your service contract may be required.

If you would like more information, call me on +44 (0)20 7404 5252 during office hours or send me a message through my contact form.